Subject: [bug#72265] [PATCH 0/1] Fix hardware acceleration support for librewolf

From: Ian Eure <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2025 19:30:12 -0800

Hi Nikita,

I haven’t forgotten about this issue, and would stil like to see 
it fixed.  The blocker was that your patch broke live videos.  I 
was thinking that shipping with your patches, but disabling 
hwaccel by default would be a reasonable path forward, so I picked 
them back up to see what prefs would need adjusting for that to 
work.  It looks like Firefox has changed how RDD paths get 
allowlisted, you now have to call AddTree() or AddPath().  I 
adapted your patch to use AddTree(), which looks like the correct 
thing, based on the change made for NixOS.  Unfortunately, even 
with that patch, LibreWolf isn’t able to open VA-API drivers:

libva info: Trying to open 
/run/current-system/profile/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
[24200] Sandbox: SandboxBroker: denied op=open rflags=2000000 
perms=0 
path=/gnu/store/hh0lwch2lfngv1vsm55r1znv701yb1d8-intel-vaapi-driver-2.4.1/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so 
for pid=24302
[24302] Sandbox: Failed errno -13 op open flags 02000000 path 
/run/current-system/profile/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
[24200] Sandbox: SandboxBroker: denied op=access rflags=0 perms=0 
path=/gnu/store/hh0lwch2lfngv1vsm55r1znv701yb1d8-intel-vaapi-driver-2.4.1/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so 
for pid=24302
[24302] Sandbox: Failed errno -13 op access flags 00 path 
/run/current-system/profile/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1

I also noticed that the op being denied was `access', while the 
patch grants `rdonly', which doesn’ include that, so I changed the 
patch to `rdonly | access', but, I get the same result.

If you’re willing to take another swing at this, I think we could 
move forward.

Thanks,
  -- Ian