Subject: bug#72242: closed (Re: bug#72242: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Fix DocView with DVI files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 18:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#72242: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Fix DocView with DVI files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72242: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72242
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72242: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Fix DocView with DVI files
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 20:47:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Manuel,

> As for Postscript files in Bug#72193, for DVI, DocView produces PNG
> content into SVG pages.  The patch is different from Bug#72193 because
> since DVI are translated into PDF in a first stage, we can then use
> `doc-view-pdf->png-converter-function' that will create SVG as needed
> (if supported).
>
> This patch is to be applied on the emacs-30 branch.

Tested, judged to be good, and applied and pushed to the emacs-30 branch
with a small typo fix in the commit message.

Thank you again!
  Tassilo

Subject: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Fix DocView with DVI files
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 13:35:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

As for Postscript files in Bug#72193, for DVI, DocView produces PNG
content into SVG pages.  The patch is different from Bug#72193 because
since DVI are translated into PDF in a first stage, we can then use
`doc-view-pdf->png-converter-function' that will create SVG as needed
(if supported).

This patch is to be applied on the emacs-30 branch.

>From 2a9e7305a86b8ed53a06988d54d99600f6d80309 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 13:25:49 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Fix DocView with DVI files

* lisp/doc-view.el (doc-view-pdf/ps->png): Use
`doc-view-pdf->png-converter-function' for DVI too since they
are converted to PDF ealier.
---
 lisp/doc-view.el | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/doc-view.el b/lisp/doc-view.el
index 65ac6e00768..e7d7ed4a862 100644
--- a/lisp/doc-view.el
+++ b/lisp/doc-view.el
@@ -1328,7 +1328,7 @@ doc-view-pdf/ps->png
   "Convert PDF-PS to PNG asynchronously."
   (funcall
    (pcase doc-view-doc-type
-     ((or 'pdf 'odf 'epub 'cbz 'fb2 'xps 'oxps)
+     ((or 'pdf 'odf 'epub 'cbz 'fb2 'xps 'oxps 'dvi)
       doc-view-pdf->png-converter-function)
      ('djvu #'doc-view-djvu->tiff-converter-ddjvu)
      (_ #'doc-view-ps->png-converter-ghostscript))
-- 
2.45.2

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 27, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.5) of 2024-07-22
 built on computer
Repository revision: 03d83f95c9a6502bf6b85d0b14e47022cf29bd3d
Repository branch: mgi/doc-view
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101013
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.5 GENERIC.MP#198 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure CC=egcc CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib MAKEINFO=gmakeinfo --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs
 --bindir=/home/manuel/bin --with-x-toolkit=no --without-cairo
 --without-compress-install'

Configured features:
DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XFT XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Diff

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  exwm-randr-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-randr hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-randr
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xsettings hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-xsettings
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-xim hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-xim
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-workspace hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-workspace
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-systemtray hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-systemtray
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-manage hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-manage
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-layout hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-layout
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-input hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-input
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-floating hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-floating
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-core hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-core
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-config hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-config
/home/manuel/prog/elisp/exwm/exwm-background hides /home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/exwm-0.31/exwm-background
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.7.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pcmpl-git log-edit dabbrev ps-mode qp gnus-cite
mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml let-alist comp-common vc-hg
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn sort find-dired smerge-mode diff whitespace
add-log vc-annotate edebug debug backtrace pulse cl-print help-fns
radix-tree misearch multi-isearch ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
imenu display-line-numbers bookmark gnus-topic mm-archive url-cache
utf-7 imap rfc2104 nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nnfolder nnml
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache
nnrss org-indent org-agenda texinfo texinfo-loaddefs flymake-cc flymake
warnings python conf-mode oc-basic org-element org-persist org-id
org-element-ast inline avl-tree ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail
ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect ol-docview doc-view filenotify
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi gnus-icalendar org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys
oc org-loaddefs org-compat org-macs vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util
make-mode view sh-script smie treesit executable mule-util on-screen
vc-dir ewoc vc gnus-dired vc-git diff-mode track-changes vc-dispatcher
bug-reference time battery cus-load desktop frameset exwm-randr
xcb-randr exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating
xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh
xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug server ef-kassio-theme
ef-themes modus-operandi-theme modus-themes zone speed-type url-http
url-auth url-gw nsm ytdious mpdired transmission color calc-bin calc-ext
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs supercite regi ebdb-gnus gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win ebdb-message message sendmail
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
gmm-utils mailheader ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev
eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe find-func eieio-base timezone
icalendar gnus nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit web-mode derived disp-table erlang-start skeleton cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp tramp rx trampver tramp-integration
files-x tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date format-spec tramp-loaddefs slime-fancy
slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep compat slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse slime apropos compile text-property-search etags
fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
pp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt elec-pair edmacro
kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs pcase dired-x dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs use-package-core repeat easy-mmode calfw-autoloads
calfw-cal-autoloads calfw-org-autoloads debbugs-autoloads ebdb-autoloads
cl-extra help-mode ef-themes-autoloads exwm-autoloads
hyperbole-autoloads kotl-autoloads hact set hhist on-screen-autoloads
osm-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads info slime-autoloads
macrostep-autoloads speed-type-autoloads transmission-autoloads
xelb-autoloads ytdious-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1183092 357970) (symbols 48 58567 7)
 (strings 32 281428 15397) (string-bytes 1 9646353)
 (vectors 16 183380) (vector-slots 8 2485237 88631)
 (floats 8 704 3581) (intervals 56 48298 9812) (buffers 992 172))

-- 
Manuel Giraud