Subject: bug#72241: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Use a dedicated buffer for `doc-view-open-text'

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 20:11:34 +0200

Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Manuel,

> Here is a patch for DocView that makes it use a dedicated buffer for
> the text representation of a document.  This is what was suggested by
> Stefan M. in a comment (circa 2019).

I think that's a good idea in general and addresses a FIXME.

Since it doesn't fix a bug, I think it should only be applied to master.

Oh, and in the commit message there's an "an" where an "and" was meant.
And maybe a "text-contents buffer" is a slightly better term than "doc's
contents buffer".

I'm not sure if a NEWS entry is needed for that change.  It certainly
changes existing behavior but not in a way that usage patterns/muscle
memory would need to be adapted...

(info "(emacs) Document View") might need a small update for the
description where some requirement is not met (e.g., emacs in a TTY
frame) where it says that "the (document) buffer" is put in text mode
when one answers the query if the contents should be shown as plain text
with yes.

Bye,
  Tassilo