Subject: bug#72241: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Use a dedicated buffer for `doc-view-open-text'

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 20:39:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2024 20:11:34 +0200
>> 
>> I'm not sure if a NEWS entry is needed for that change.  It certainly
>> changes existing behavior but not in a way that usage patterns/muscle
>> memory would need to be adapted...
>
> Can you tell in what way the behavior will change after this?  I'd
> like to think whether a NEWS entry is necessary and what to day there.

Right now, when you open foo.pdf you see the images generated from the
PDF.  When you do C-c C-t, it'll replace the foo.pdf buffer contents
with the plain text contents of the PDF.  With another C-c C-c, the
contents are again replaced with the PDF and you see the images again.

With Manuel's patch, C-c C-t shows the plain text contents in a separate
buffer foo.pdf/text.  C-c C-c in there kills that separate buffer and
switches back to the original foo.pdf buffer.

So basically everything you have to do stays the same but there are now
two instead of just one buffer.  That has the advantage that you can
switch between them and removes the possibility that you accidentally
overwrite your PDF with the plain text contents (which in what Stefan's
FIXME was about).

Bye,
  Tassilo