Subject: bug#72230: 29.4; Cursor Disappears with Hebrew Text

From: hermann sorgel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2024 17:20:50 +0300

I'm encountering an issue with cursor behavior in Emacs, and I'm hoping
someone can help me resolve it.

When the cursor hovers over Hebrew text, it becomes invisible. Here are a
few facts I've observed:
- This only occurs with the cursor type set to 'bar'.
- The "box" and other cursor types work without issues.
- The "bar" cursor becomes visible if I make its size huge, like '(bar .
10).
- There's a similar, but slightly different issue with Arabic text.

The issue was reproduced with Emacs 29.3 for Mac and emacs-plus 29.4, on
macOS Sonoma 14.5 (23F79). Changing font and bidi settings haven't affected
the issue. Neither has --no-init-file.

Short video with demonstration
<https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZIDjgZ3QLO9BNemLm4rGJp1Venlhq0PeI7>

Text file from video
<https://gist.github.com/hermannsorgel/a2a7de12dab858bb17da35b822721702>

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin23.5.0, NS
 appkit-2487.60 Version 14.5 (Build 23F79)) of 2024-07-21 built on
 Sorgel-MBP
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2487
System Description:  macOS 14.5

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/opt/homebrew/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.4/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/opt/homebrew/Cellar/emacs-plus@29/29.4 --with-xml2
 --with-gnutls --without-compress-install --without-dbus
 --without-imagemagick --with-modules --with-rsvg --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained 'CFLAGS=-Os -w -pipe
 -mmacosx-version-min=14
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.sdk -O2
 -DFD_SETSIZE=10000 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT'
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/homebrew/opt/icu4c/include
 -I/opt/homebrew/opt/sqlite/include -I/opt/homebrew/opt/readline/include
 -isystem/opt/homebrew/include -F/opt/homebrew/Frameworks
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.sdk'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/homebrew/opt/icu4c/lib -L/opt/homebrew/opt/sqlite/lib
 -L/opt/homebrew/opt/readline/lib -L/opt/homebrew/lib
 -F/opt/homebrew/Frameworks -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names
 -isysroot/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX14.sdk''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
thingatpt vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 43275 6299)
 (symbols 48 5649 0)
 (strings 32 15396 2057)
 (string-bytes 1 443058)
 (vectors 16 11570)
 (vector-slots 8 175067 6803)
 (floats 8 23 53)
 (intervals 56 298 0)
 (buffers 984 12))