Subject: bug#72225: closed (Re: bug#72852: Testsuite summary for GNU Automake 1.17 on x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2024 17:17:03 +0000

Your bug report

#72225: [PATCH] _AM_PROG_CC_C_O: clean up after .dSYM directories properly

which was filed against the automake-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72225: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72225
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72852: Testsuite summary for GNU Automake 1.17 on x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2024 11:16:04 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Eric - I applied the patch from 72225, which hopefully also fixes
your report in 72852. Closing both, with fingers crossed. Thanks!! -k

Subject: [PATCH] _AM_PROG_CC_C_O: clean up after .dSYM directories properly
From: Eric Gallager <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2024 05:20:10 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On darwin, the compiler will generate .dSYM directories (for debug
info) alongside executables when invoked, leading to messages like the
following in configure output:

checking whether /usr/local/bin/gcc understands -c and -o together...
rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
yes

The attached patch ought to fix this by passing the -r flag to the rm
invocation that's meant to clean up the conftests. One concern,
though, is that in the same invocation, it also tries to remove
anything called "core", so I worry what might happen with this change
if "core" happens to be a directory... should I handle that
separately?
Thanks,
Eric Gallager