Subject: Re: bug#72212: 31.0.50; API for condition objects

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2024 17:09:09 -0700

Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Wow, I did not expect such wild reactions!

;-)

FWIW, your patch looks good to me, and seems like it's moving in a good
direction.

>> Beside whether we want to do this or not, there is another question
>> about naming: currently we use "condition" in some places (e.g. in
>> `condition-case`) but we use "error" in others (e.g. `define-error` and
>> `error-message-string`).  I chose to use "condition" in the patch below,
>> but I don't have a strong opinion on that choice, so I could go with
>> "error" if that's what other prefer.  If we keep "condition" there's the
>> subsidiary question whether we should add aliases for `define-error` and
>> `error-message-string`.

I think we should keep the word "condition", and think we could have
aliases "define-condition" and "condition-message-string" like you
propose.