Subject: bug#72210: 31.0.50; Feature request: multi-category support in `icomplete-fido-kill'

From: Fernando de Morais <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2024 22:57:22 -0300

Hello Stefan,

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This is indeed a better idea!  I'm not very familiar with `cl-*' code,
>> but the way you suggest makes `icomplete-fido-kill' very flexible.  As I
>> understand it, even if `consult' doesn't define its methods, we can
>> still do it ourselves as end users, without needing to advise or
>> override the original function.
>
> Indeed, tho it would rely on "internal knowledge" of consult's
> `multi-category`.
>
> I'm not 100% happy with my suggestion, tho.  One of the problems is the
> name (should it include "fido"?   Currently, `icomplete-fido-kill` and
> `icomplete-fido-ret` can misbehave in non-fido-mode, because of an
> assumption they make about the completion-style).  The other is the
> confirmation prompt, which feels like it should be implemented once and
> for all outside of the generic function.
>
> For reference here's my current code.

I wasn't sure if you were waiting for a response from Daniel or another
user of `icomplete', but from my side, I liked the idea of using
`cl-defgeneric'!

However, I couldn't use the implementation from the last patch.  When I
try to load the patched `icomplete', I receive this error:

        Unknown specializer (eq 'buffer)

Thank you for looking into this issue!

-- 
Regards,
Fernando de Morais.