Subject: doc: 'Sending a Patch Series' inconsistent with 'Building from Git'

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 20:19:31 +0200

Hi,

As reported in [1], because of a change in ’guix git authenticate’ then
’git send-email’ needs more configuration than expected.

>From ’(guix) Sending a Patch Series’ [2], it reads:

    Assuming you have already configured Git according to ’Configuring
    Git’, you can simply use:

         $ git send-email --annotate -1

Where ’(guix) Configuring Git’ [3] reads:

    Other important Git configuration will automatically be configured
    when building the project (*note ’Building from Git’).

and ’(guix) Building from Git’ [4] suggests the sequence of commands:

     git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
     git fetch origin keyring:keyring
(1)  guix git authenticate 9edb3f66fd807b096b48283debdcddccfea34bad \
       "BBB0 2DDF 2CEA F6A8 0D1D  E643 A2A0 6DF2 A33A 54FA"
     guix shell -D guix -CPW
     ./bootstrap
     ./configure
(2)  make
     make check

But the issue is that step (1) modifies the file ’.git/config’ and then
Makefile rule:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
.git/config: etc/git/gitconfig
	$(AM_V_at)if command -v git >/dev/null && test -d .git; then \
	git config --fixed-value --replace-all include.path \
	  ../etc/git/gitconfig ../etc/git/gitconfig; \
	fi
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

does not apply because the file ’.git/config’ is newer than the file
’etc/git/gitconfig’.  Therefore, the recommended Git configuration is
never locally installed.  And the section ’Sending a Patch Series’ does
not work out of the box.

Well, from my point of view, the easiest seems to run ’touch
etc/git/gitconfig’ when running ’./bootstrap’.  WDYT?

Cheers,
simon

1: Re: Did something with format-patch or send-email break?
Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Sun, 09 Jun 2024 12:51:44 +0200
id:ZmWJQLwXrPFtGlvu@ws
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2024-06
https://yhetil.org/guix/ZmWJQLwXrPFtGlvu@ws

2: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Sending-a-Patch-Series
3: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Configuring-Git
4: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Building-from-Git