Subject: bug#72160: 29.3; package buglet

From: Devon Sean McCullough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 11:16:49 -0500

Strings and symbols should be equally acceptable package designators.

(use-package 'xr) ; (wrong-type-argument symbolp 'xr)
Should work like (use-package "xr")

(package-install "xr") ; (error "Package ‘xr’ is unavailable")
Should work like (package-install 'xr)
instead of erring with that awfully misleading error message.

		Peace
			--Devon

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60
  Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G9323)) of 2024-03-24 built on
  builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.6

Configured using:
  'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
  -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
   value of $LANG: C
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   sly-symbol-completion-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils easy-mmode
sly-completion sly-buttons sly-messages sly-common apropos etags
fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt chatgpt-shell-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads dir-treeview-autoloads dired-subtree-autoloads
dired-hacks-utils-autoloads dash-autoloads dismal-autoloads
elpy-autoloads google-translate-autoloads
highlight-indentation-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads company-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads mmm-mode-autoloads paren-face-autoloads
popup-autoloads python-mode-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads
realgud-lldb-autoloads realgud-autoloads realgud-recursive-autoloads
loc-changes-autoloads load-relative-autoloads recover-buffers-autoloads
s-autoloads shell-maker-autoloads slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
compat-autoloads info sly-autoloads test-simple-autoloads
treeview-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads queue-autoloads vcard-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads xbm-life-autoloads xr-autoloads yascroll-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads warnings cl-extra use-package-core help-fns
radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace help-mode find-func cus-edit pp
cus-start cus-load icons wid-edit finder-inf package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 134157 9903)
  (symbols 48 13597 0)
  (strings 32 50442 1886)
  (string-bytes 1 1393046)
  (vectors 16 27275)
  (vector-slots 8 602587 11416)
  (floats 8 55 50)
  (intervals 56 445 0)
  (buffers 984 13))