Subject: bug#7215: 24.0.50; Minibuffer path completion mispositions point

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:24:24 -0400

>> I've installed the patch below into the emacs-23 branch.  This should
>> fix the problem.  Please confirm,

> I'm on trunk, not the emacs-23 branch.

Yes, but the bug was there as well.  It'll get merged into trunk in due time.

> However, I (manually) applied the same change to trunk and the problem
> did indeed go away.

Thank you for confirming.

> Does mark matter in the minibuffer?

Yes.

> If so, perhaps it should be forward-char-nomark?

forward-char is a low-level function which does not touch the mark.
forward-char-nomark OTOH is a command (only defined if you load
pc-select.el) which does affect the mark.  So `forward-char' is what we
want here.

> Note: the diff you posted seems to ignore whitespace, which made it
> slightly harder to twig that you were extending the let, because the
> goto-char and indent didn't change their indentation.

It's a tradeoff: OT1H you don't see that the indentation changed, but
OTOH you do see that this part of the code has not been modified.

        Stefan