Subject: [bug#72137] [PATCH 0/2] Avoid cache cleanup storms

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2024 11:10:56 +0200

Hello!

This fixes “cache cleanup storms” reported by Chris Baines whereby
typically multiple ‘guix substitute’ processes would start cleaning
up /var/guix/substitute/cache concurrently, leading to poor performance
(in particular on build farms with many such processes running in
parallel, even worse when on spinning disks).

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (2):
  syscalls: Add ‘mode’ parameter to ‘lock-file’.
  cache: Avoid cache cleanup storms from concurrent processes.

 guix/build/syscalls.scm | 14 +++++++++-----
 guix/cache.scm          | 27 ++++++++++++++++++---------
 tests/cache.scm         | 30 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 tests/syscalls.scm      | 13 +++++++++++++
 4 files changed, 69 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)

base-commit: eb508e32d2d359c94d2cabebfe90dc32ca5dcf4f
-- 
2.45.2