Subject: bug#72135: Debian ‘guix’ package lacks zstd support

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 19:18:29 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 at 10:41, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> (I know this should be a Debian bug report, but I’m sorta acting as a
> proxy.  :-))

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1072918

        Reported by: Marvin Krause <[email-masked]>
        Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 10:45:01 UTC
        Severity: important
        Found in version guix/1.4.0-3+deb12u1

>                  However, it currently lacks zstd support (with
> guile-zstd):
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/guix

Well, I am not an expert on the Debian releases, but I guess it is not
possible to backport all the stuff for this ’oldstable’ Debian release.

Hum, I do not remember all the details but I remember discussing this
sort of issue in [1].

That said, after “apt install guix”, does the guix-daemon update work?
Somehow if “guix pull” as root fails after a fresh install via APT, then
it’s a bug on Guix side, else it’s a bug on Debian side tracked by
1072918. :-)

And as reported above, the issue is still in ’stable’ Debian release.

1: Re: Are gzip-compressed substitutes still used?
Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:08:38 -0700
id:87o8fhwt3t.fsf@yucca
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-03
https://yhetil.org/guix/87o8fhwt3t.fsf@yucca

Cheers,
simon