Subject: Re: bug#72090: [Improvement] Option for disabling truncation symbols

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2024 12:22:36 +0300

tags 72090 notabug
thanks

> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2024 08:51:58 +0000
> From:  the_wurfkreuz via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> I haven't found a way to disable truncation characters when I'm not using
> line wrapping.

What do you mean by "disable"?  If you mean force Emacs not to show
any glyph there, then there's no way of disabling that completely.

> There is a way to make them appear as empty spaces:
> 
> (set-display-table-slot standard-display-table 'truncation ?\ )
> 
> However, this isn't a real solution because it still takes up buffer
> space for no benefit.

Yes, and that's by design.

> In some cases, truncation symbols on the left side of the buffer seem
> completely pointless. There's no additional context to be derived from them,
> and they just clutter the buffer.

I don't agree that they are clutter.  They serve as a clear indication
that the line was truncated.  Since Emacs supports a feature whereby
only the current line is hscrolled, this indication is important.

I'm not interested in adding a feature that would disable these glyphs
on TTY frames.  (On GUI frames, Emacs does not show these glyphs by
default, and the continuation/truncation indications are shown on the
fringes.)