Subject: Re: [bug#72071] [PATCH 0/2] Fix hdf5-parallel-openmpi

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2024 18:01:30 +0200

Hello Luca!

Luca Cirrottola <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Package hdf5-parallel-openmpi builds often fail with the error reported in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68313 . The issue has been discussed in https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/11240 and https://github.com/HDFGroup/hdf5/issues/2196, and solved by https://github.com/HDFGroup/hdf5/pull/3421 that is included in HDF5 release 1.14.3. My proposed solution consists of two commits, the first for updating the HDF5 version in hdf5-parallel-openmpi to 1.14.3, the second for fixing a new test error due to the recipe modifying a file which is used as a test reference (my proposition is to remove this modification, but I don't know why it was introduced in the first place, so thanks for any comment about this).
>
> Luca Cirrottola (2):
>   Solve issue https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68313 by updating HDF5 version
>     to 1.14.3 (containing the official fix
>     https://github.com/HDFGroup/hdf5/pull/3421).

This first patch LGTM.

Do I get it right that there’s one test failure if we apply just this
one patch?

>   Fix broken HDF5 test: Do not modify the file src/libhdf5.settings
>     generated by the configure script, as it will be checked against a
>     new version generated by the test code in
>     test/test_check_version.sh.in.

Here, the ‘patch-settings’ phase was here (1) to ensure bit-for-bit
reproducible builds regardless of the kernel (the “Uname” change), and
(2) to avoid keeping references to the compiler (hdf5 would depend on
GCC & co., so its closure as reported by ‘guix size hdf5’ would be much
bigger than necessary).

I haven’t looked at ‘test_check_version.sh.in’, but can you think of a
way to preserve the changes ‘patch-settings’ makes while still allowing
that test to pass?

Thanks,
Ludo’.