Subject: bug#72061: Discrepancy when running ‘guix pull’ from different machines

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2024 17:31:58 +0200

Hi Simon,

> Thanks.  Do you know what the current Guix revision?  It should have no
> effect but who knows. :-)

The "channels.scm" attached to my last message describes Guix at the
time "guix time-machine" was launched. It's not the channels file used
in the time machine command! That one is quite short:

==================================================
(list (channel
        (name 'guix)
        (url "https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git")
        (branch "master")
        (commit
          "7b0863f07a113caef26fea13909bd97d250b629e")
        (introduction
          (make-channel-introduction
            "9edb3f66fd807b096b48283debdcddccfea34bad"
            (openpgp-fingerprint
              "BBB0 2DDF 2CEA F6A8 0D1D  E643 A2A0 6DF2 A33A 54FA")))))
==================================================

So to reproduce (or not) the error, you would do

    guix pull -C channels.scm

with the file I attached in my last message, and then

    guix time-machine –commit=7b0863f07a113caef26fea13909bd97d250b629e – 

because that's really all it takes. But on my machine, that works fine,
whereas on someone else's machine it didn't.

> Is the current failing Guix running a revision older than May?

It's the one defined in channels.scm, meaning commit
325fed4c1514bffd084355455710fcc3f1c8da2c, from July 16th 2024. So, no,
not older than May.

Cheers,
  Konrad