Subject: bug#72055: 29.4; JIT native compilation errors with Windows Emacs 29.4

From: Joel Reicher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 21:46:22 +1000

After completely removing the existing installation of Emacs and 
installing a new one from

emacs-29.4-installer.exe

there are periodic warnings that say

Warning (comp): x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-11.3.0: fatal error: cannot 
execute 'as': CreateProcess: No such file or directory  They 
appear to be triggered when Emacs tries to execute elisp from a 
.el with no matching .eln in the installation path (if an .eln 
*does* exist it appears to be loaded), and continue to occur 
during the Emacs session life as new bits of elisp are loaded.

Setting `native-comp-jit-compilation' to nil eliminates the warnings, which might confirm it's from the JIT process.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-07-05 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22631
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (v10.0.2009.22631.3880)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus
 --with-native-compilation=aot --without-compress-install
 --with-sqlite3 --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'
Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/joelr/Google Drive/.emacs.d/elpa/jsonrpc-1.0.25/jsonrpc hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/jsonrpc
c:/Users/joelr/Google Drive/.emacs.d/elpa/eglot-1.17/eglot hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/progmodes/eglot
c:/Users/joelr/Google Drive/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.15.0/eldoc hides c:/Program Files/Emacs/emacs-29.4/share/emacs/29.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mule-util flyspell ispell messages-are-flowing
cl-extra help-mode sort gnus-cite smiley mail-extr textsec uni-scripts
idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml misearch multi-isearch view dired-aux gnus-dired
pcmpl-unix em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob
em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs esh-var pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring em-basic em-banner esh-mode eshell esh-cmd generator
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
files-x nndraft nnmh utf-7 gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win finder-inf mm-archive message sendmail yank-media
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode gnutls
network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw nsm puny epg rfc6068 epg-config server avoid
gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date mail-utils
range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit cus-load bazel-autoloads rx
chess-autoloads eglot-autoloads eldoc-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
jsonrpc-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
messages-are-flowing-autoloads org-msg-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
x509-mode-autoloads info compat-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 668816 44797)
 (symbols 48 24721 3)
 (strings 32 142336 19391)
 (string-bytes 1 3387123)
 (vectors 16 72443)
 (vector-slots 8 1319525 59470)
 (floats 8 321 187)
 (intervals 56 6276 148)
 (buffers 984 32))