Subject: bug#72040: [core-updates] Boost bug / breaks libreoffice [was libetonyek link failure]

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2024 13:39:21 -0400

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 04:23:09PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Here's a patch that patches Boost, while also creating a hidden package
> boost-for-source-highlight. This variant is only used by the
> source-highlight package, which is used by gdb, and thus rust. So, it
> aims to avoid rebuilding everything rust.

Here's an updated patchset that builds on the previous patch.

It patches Boost to fix the bug, creates the Boost variant for
source-highlight / gdb / Rust, and then finally fixes a missing
dependency failure in Libreoffice.

It does cause several thousand rebuilds (5933 rebuilds), but much fewer than if we did
not avoid changing the source-highlight derivation (15383 rebuilds).

There is some discussion on the Libreoffice mailing list, but so far
it's inconclusive from my perspective. But if I understand correctly,
their recommended solution would be to create a source origin of
Boost >=1.84, copy that into the Libreoffice and libetonyek source
trees, and build the programs against that "internal" Boost. I'm not
sure that's better than simply updating Boost.