Subject: bug#72034: closed (Re: bug#72034: 29.3; python-ts-mode navigation fails)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 11:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#72034: 29.3; python-ts-mode navigation fails

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72034: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72034
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72034: 29.3; python-ts-mode navigation fails
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Tim Loderhose <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 14:03:13 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 09:54:05 +0000
> From: Tim Loderhose <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I just built the latest emacs-30, and indeed the problem appears to be fixed there!

Thanks for testing, I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 29.3; python-ts-mode navigation fails
From: Tim Loderhose <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 09:45:01 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

python-nav-forward-defun doesn't work properly in python-ts-mode, for
example with this file:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/timlod/onset-fingerprinting/6c8f9bd3b82398c9af3519036e0d5a550ad3bae7/onset_fingerprinting/data.py

Specifically, at some point it will stop navigating, even though there
are still function definitions to traverse (other times I saw it skipped
some definitions before stopping altogether). I noticed that this
usually happens after some point in the buffer, but I haven't been able
to nail it down exactly. My hunch is that it could be related to
decorators (e.g. @classmethod) or type hints, or both.

It does work properly using just python-mode. This is tested using
`emacs -q`, so this bug persists just on a clean Emacs 29.3.

I checked previous reports and believe this is probably related to
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60856, which isn't fixed yet.

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-06-08 built on pop-os
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --with-native-compilation --with-json --without-mailutils
--without-pop'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8