Subject: Re: bug#72019: [PATCH] Add project argument to project-kill-buffers

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 22:47:57 +0300

On 11/07/2024 07:52, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> For project-kill-buffers in particular it seems like a real advantage -
>> getting to clean up buffers belonging to an already deleted project. And
>> if one step 2 or 3 fails with an error, oh well, it doesn't seem like we
>> could have done better.
> 
> My question for this scenario would be: does project.el support it in
> general?  I'd expect quite a few of the functions to rely on the fact
> that the project directory is there, in which case this is the tip of
> a very large iceberg.

I'm not sure. Hence I'm not announcing a big switchover for every 
command, or anything like that. But the command "kill all buffers" seems 
like a very good fit for a project that's not there anymore.

> But you know the code and the design much better than I do, so if it
> makes sense to you, fine.

This particular decision is ad-hoc, but it does seem like it has no or 
very little drawbacks.

Let me know if it's okay for emacs-30, or we should postpone it to master.