Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] gnu: guile-emacs: Remove variable.

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2025 12:08:23 +0100

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen writes:

Hello,

> Arun Isaac writes:
>
>> Hi Janneke,
>>
>> Oops, sorry! I saw the old consensus on this issue to remove
>> guile-emacs, and did so without looking at the new work on guile-emacs.
>> I have reverted my commits now.
>
> Thank you, you raced me.  I wanted to apologize for my tone...I guess I
> should take some rest.
>
> What I meant to say was: I spent two days in December to resurrect it,
> sorry I failed to notice there were problems.  I'll look into this.

Reading this bug I now understand what caused my confusion, this bug was
filed in July 2024

> From: Ada Stevenson <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2024 14:17:20 +0800 (35 weeks, 5 days, 2 hours ago) 
> 
> The `guile-emacs` package appears to be unmaintained and does not build anymore.
> Thus, I think it should be removed.

and I even tried to ressurrect the build later, and only partially
succeeded (i.e., I failed), and I wrote

> So yeah, unless someone wants to take this up, prolly best to remove it :'-(

However, a fix for guile-for-guile-emacs a week ago missed cc'ing this bug

    <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/76752>

I saw this bug but was too busy to look...and I assumed this was the
reason guile-emacs got removed.  At Emacsconf in December 2024, Robin
Templeton announced they resurrected the Guile-Emacs project, with a new
website: https://guile-emacs.org, and a new git repository.  I updated
both guile-for-guile-emacs and guile-emacs

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
4e8710b280c gnu: guile-emacs: Update home-page.
e46bc3d9282 gnu: guile-emacs: Support running emacs from the store.
0fae91a5ef6 gnu: guile-emacs: Remove hardcoded version from EMACSLOADPATH.
c09cd73f5cc gnu: guile-emacs: Update to 8f87cbc1dae6a9e77368afc5736df8c342e9153d.
e613e45274c gnu: guile-for-guile-emacs: Update to wip-elisp-rebased.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Sorry for the confusion and forgetting about this bug.

I'll open a new bug to update the December 2024 guile-emacs (and
possibly guile-for-guile-emacs) to a more recent version hopefully later
today.

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com