Subject: bug#71975: closed (Re: bug#71975: fails to build emacs from master)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2024 01:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71975: fails to build emacs from master

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71975: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71975
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71975: fails to build emacs from master
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], John ff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2024 18:43:32 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> tags 71975 unreproducible
> thanks
>
>> Date: Sat,  6 Jul 2024 22:10:41 +0100
>> From: John ff <[email-masked]>
>>
>>
>> I regularly pull the latest emacs from maser source, and compile.
>> n the last few days this has not worked.  First error was missing
>> makefile.in but I have failed to find a way to compile.
>> I tried make bootstrap which has solved many such problems.
>> From git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
>>    38ce85c547c..d826240fa56  master     -> origin/master
>>    235b9e85a67..9625e4af994  emacs-30   -> origin/emacs-30
>> Updating 38ce85c547c..d826240fa56
>> Fast-forward
>>  etc/NEWS                               | 20 +++++++++++++++
>>  lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el            | 42 ++++++++++++++++++-------------
>>  lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt.el            | 47 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
>>  lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el             | 13 +++-------
>>  test/lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt-tests.el | 13 ++++++++++
>>  5 files changed, 98 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)
>> make actual-all || make advice-on-failure make-target=all exit-status=$?
>> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
>> make -C lib all
>> make -C doc/lispref info
>> make -C doc/lispintro info
>> make -C doc/emacs info
>> make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispintro'
>> make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispintro'
>> make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispref'
>> make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispref'
>> make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/emacs'
>> make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/emacs'
>> make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib'
>> make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib'
>> make -C lib-src all
>> make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib-src'
>> make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib-src'
>> make -C src BIN_DESTDIR=''/usr/local/bin/'' \
>>          ELN_DESTDIR='/usr/local/lib64/emacs/31.0.50/' all
>> make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/src'
>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'filelock.c', needed by 'gl-stamp'.  Stop.
>> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/src'
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:554: src] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
>> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
>> ***
>> *** "make all" failed with exit status 2.
>
> I cannot reproduce this with today's master branch.  Suggest to run
> "git clean -fdx" followed by "git pull" and a full bootstrap.  I'm
> quite sure there's something wrong with your cloned repository, since
> the error message about filelock.c makes no sense.  If nothing else
> helps, make a fresh Git clone.

More information was requested, but none was given within 3 months, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Subject: fails to build emacs from master
From: John ff <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2024 22:10:41 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I regularly pull the latest emacs from maser source, and compile.
n the last few days this has not worked.  First error was missing
makefile.in but I have failed to find a way to compile.
I tried make bootstrap which has solved many such problems.
>From git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs
   38ce85c547c..d826240fa56  master     -> origin/master
   235b9e85a67..9625e4af994  emacs-30   -> origin/emacs-30
Updating 38ce85c547c..d826240fa56
Fast-forward
 etc/NEWS                               | 20 +++++++++++++++
 lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el            | 42 ++++++++++++++++++-------------
 lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt.el            | 47 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
 lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el             | 13 +++-------
 test/lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt-tests.el | 13 ++++++++++
 5 files changed, 98 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)
make actual-all || make advice-on-failure make-target=all exit-status=$?
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
make -C lib all
make -C doc/lispref info
make -C doc/lispintro info
make -C doc/emacs info
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispintro'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispintro'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispref'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/lispref'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/emacs'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'info'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/doc/emacs'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib'
make -C lib-src all
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib-src'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lib-src'
make -C src BIN_DESTDIR=''/usr/local/bin/'' \
         ELN_DESTDIR='/usr/local/lib64/emacs/31.0.50/' all
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/src'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'filelock.c', needed by 'gl-stamp'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/src'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:554: src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/GNU/emacs'
***
*** "make all" failed with exit status 2.

essage sent froma slighty older working emacs 

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.16.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: openSUSE Leap 15.5

Recent messages:
Zap to char: d
kill-region: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *GNU Emacs*>
s is undefined
command-execute: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *GNU Emacs*> [2 times]
r is undefined
e is undefined
p is undefined
o is undefined
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --with-pop --without-hesiod
 --with-gameuser=:games --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-file-notification=inotify --with-modules --enable-autodepend
 --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/27.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-xim --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff
 --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft
 --without-gpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --x-includes=/usr/include --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf
 --with-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets
 --build=x86_64-suse-linux --with-dumping=pdumper
 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables
 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -g
 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign
 -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
 -fno-PIE -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000
 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 -DPDMP_BASE='\''"emacs-gtk"'\'''
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-no-pie -Wl,-O2''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
LIBOTF ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
XWIDGETS LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/lilypond-init
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-words hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-words
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-what-beat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-what-beat
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-song hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-song
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-mode
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-init hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-init
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-indent
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/lilypond-font-lock hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lilypond-font-lock
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/po-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/po-mode
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/po-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/po-compat

Features:
(shadow flyspell mailalias emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils image-file view
mule-util cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew cal-julian lunar
solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs holidays hol-loaddefs
cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs time paren preview-latex
auto-loads tex-site ispell delsel lpr easy-mmode pcase tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet
lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 73213 4037)
 (symbols 48 7718 1)
 (strings 32 22820 1980)
 (string-bytes 1 791390)
 (vectors 16 12880)
 (vector-slots 8 193839 9690)
 (floats 8 564 719)
 (intervals 56 392 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))

==John ffitch