Subject: Re: bug#71971: 31.0.50; Add user option server-window-alist

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2024 14:22:17 +0300

> Cc: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2024 13:06:57 +0200
> From:  Michael Albinus via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> A new user option `server-window-alist' shall be added to server.el. Every
> entry shall be of type (REGEXP . SERVER-WINDOW). REGEXP is used to filter
> for the buffer's file name, and if it matches, SERVER-WINDOW shall be
> applied. SERVER-WINDOW itself has the same type as the `server-window'
> user option.
> 
> If no regexp matches, the value of user option `server-window' shall be
> used.
> 
> This new user option is the same as the existing
> `with-editor-server-window-alist' from package with-editor.el. Mid-term,
> the former shall replace the latter.

Is it possible to describe the typical use cases which this option
targets?  Given that client frames/windows are not meant for specific
buffers (IOW, a client frame/window can be used for editing several
buffers), what kind of workflow will benefit from this option?

(And please don't say "the same cases as those where server-window is
useful", because I don't understand its usefulness, either.)

Thanks.