Subject: bug#7197: 23.2; Cannot print the Euro-Symbol

From: "Rommerskirchen, Heinrich (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:25:11 +0200

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing
list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

Create a new file containing just the Euro symbol. Save it, it is saved
by default as utf-8. Print it with ps-print-buffer-with-faces
(ps-spool-buffer-with-faces gives same results), the paper output
contains
a dollar symbol. If you store it with encoding latin-0, the print
contains
instead a question mark. Checking, I find that the same happens with the
emacs 23.1 contained in my GNU/Linux distribution (OpenSuSE 11.1).

In emacs 22.x printing worked after I added the following to my startup
files
    (setq ps-mule-font-info-database-default
          '((latin-iso8859-15 (normal nil nil iso-latin-9))
            (latin-iso8859-1  (normal nil nil iso-latin-1))))
-- I copied this from Usenet not understanding much of emacs coding
systems -- but this is not accepted by emacs 23.x on GNU/Linux; on
printing it produces the error message
 "charset-dimension: Wrong type argument: charsetp, iso-latin-9" and
doesn't send anything to the printer. describe-coding-system knows
iso-latin-9.

Under MS Windows XP I get with emacs -Q always just a question mark,
independent of file encoding. But with my startup files containing the
above 'setq..' I am able to print the same file (and any other file,
too)
just fine, without getting any error message. (Here I use the binary
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-23.2-bin-i386.zip, downloaded
on May,11th)

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
 of 2010-06-05 on canna
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.10502000
configured using `configure  '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-x''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  iswitchb-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<right> <right> <right> <up> C-e <f9> SPC C-x C-e <down> 
<down> <right> <right> <right> <right> C-x C-e <up> 
<up> <up> <delete> <down> <down> <down> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <backspace> C-l C-x C-s <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-1> <down> C-a C-SPC <down> 
<down> <down> M-w C-y <up> <up> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
M-d M-d M-d <down> M-d M-d M-d C-x C-s <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> M-x d e s c r i b e - c 
o d <tab> <return> i s o <tab> l <tab> <tab> 9 <return> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> 
<mouse-1> <C-home> <help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> C-x 0 <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> a n d SPC 
( <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<left> <M-backspace> <C-right> <C-right> <right> <delete> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
m a M-/ M-d <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<delete> <backspace> <backspace> <right> SPC ( e m 
a M-/ <C-left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <delete> 
<delete> i n <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> SPC 1 <up> 
<up> <up> <down> <down> <right> C-M-f <right> <left> 
<f9> m <f9> m <right> ) C-x C-s <f9> C-g <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <help-echo> C-x q 1 C-x 1 l l l l l 
<switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1> 
= SPC C-x C-s <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> 
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Saving file /local/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ro_default.el...
Wrote /local/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ro_default.el
Making completion list...
Mark set
Saving file /local/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ro_default.el...
Wrote /local/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ro_default.el
kbd-macro-query: Not defining or executing kbd macro
Info-extract-menu-counting: No menu in this node
Saving file /local/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ro_default.el...
Wrote /local/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ro_default.el

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/anthy/leim-list hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/leim/leim-list

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash mail-utils emacsbug macros dabbrev mule-diag pp info newcomment
find-func vc-dispatcher vc-rcs debug ps-mule jka-compr help-mode view
misc executable multi-isearch org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe
org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks
org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile advice help-fns advice-preload org-footnote org-src
org-list org-faces org-compat org-macs easymenu time-date noutline
outline easy-mmode iswitchb wdired delsel cus-start cus-load skeleton
autoinsert edmacro kmacro ps-print ps-def lpr dired-x dired-aux dired
regexp-opt ro_util mouse-sel thingatpt tex-site tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)