Subject: bug#71969: [PATCH] Support interactive D-Bus authentication

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2024 09:52:50 +0200

Steven Allen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Steven,

>>> Sorry about that. To restart the bluetooth service, execute:
>>>
>>>     (dbus-call-method
>>>      :system
>>>      "org.freedesktop.systemd1" "/org/freedesktop/systemd1"
>>>      "org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager" "RestartUnit"
>>>      :authorize t
>>>      "bluetooth.service" "replace")
>>>
>>> Assuming you have a polkit agent running (most DEs will run one by
>>> default, but agents like mate-polkit work pretty well standalone),
>>> you'll be prompted to authorize the operation and the bluetooth service
>>> will be restarted.
>>
>> Nice. I get an authorization prompt.
>>
>> However, on my Fedora 40 / Gnome 46 / systemd 255 system, it doesn't
>> matter, whether I use ':authorize t', ':authorize nil', or none of
>> them. Is interactive authorization enabled by default, and we don't need
>> to care about?
>
> It worked for me as well until a recent update (likely polkit 124 or
> systemd 256). I'm guessing one of these projects fixed a bug somewhere
> as it sounds like this flag should always have been required.

Hmm, I don't understand what you want to say.

Anyway, I believe we shall add this feature to Emacs only when we have
seen an example where it makes a difference.

Best regards, Michael.