Subject: bug#71934: comp--spill-lap-function and closure (wad: bug#71934: 31.0.50; edebug--called-interactively-skip vs. new fun objects)

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2024 22:32:43 -0400

>> It's apparent that the one that used to work,
>>
>>     (cl-defmethod comp--spill-lap-function ((form list))
>>
>> , no longer works since function forms were converted to a different
>> format in March.  It needs modifying to handle the new format.
>
> That was the question.
>
> So, of what kind can the argument FORM be?  Any form (any lisp
> expression - any kind of "code") - lambda lists, function values?
>
> As far as I understand the above method originally supported lambda
> lists and you made it handle function values as well.  And because
> function values are now represented differently the above method does
> not handle this case any more.
>
> Is this correct?

Yeah, I also fail to understand the relationship between
`comp--spill-lap-function` (which sounds internal to the compilation
pipeline and thus might apply to all sorts of subexpressions of the
input code) and `native-compile` (where adding support for function
values affects only the "toplevel" of the input).

        Stefan