Subject: 31.0.50; elpa.gnu.org has misleading link to bbdb source code

From: Jules Tamagnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2024 11:06:47 -0700

---

* Background

This might be expected but I found it a bit confusing so figured I would
open a bug report in case it is not expected.

The high level issue is that it seems like the elpa website is pointing
to the wrong version of the bbdb source code.

* Problem

The `bbdb` package is defined in elpa as pulling from nongnu elpa. This
can be seen here -
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/elpa-packages?h=main#n89

However the link to `bbdb`'s source code from the elpa website
(http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/bbdb.html) points to the gnu elpa version
of the source code:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/?h=externals/bbdb.

This causes confusion because the website does not point to the true
source code that would be installed.

This further causes confusion because both versions of `bbdb` are
extremely different notably the elpa version of bbdb contains a
`bbdb-site.el` file
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/lisp/bbdb-site.el?h=externals/bbdb)
whereas the non-gnu elpa version contains a `bbdb-site.el.in` file
(https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/bbdb.git/tree/lisp/bbdb-site.el.in)

* Desired solutions

1. The elpa website should link to the bbdb source code that is defined
   in elpa-packages.
2. Both versions of the elpa source code:
   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/?h=externals/bbdb, and
   https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/bbdb.git/tree/, should be reconciled.

I'd be willing to tackle solution 1 and possibly solution 2 but it isn't
clear to me where the source code for the elpa website is such that it
can be modified to point to the expected URL. It also isn't clear to me
if we should be keeping both versions of the source code or consolidate
since it seems like the version on gnu.org is no longer in use.

Best,
Jules

---

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.42, cairo version 1.18.0)
Repository revision: 9cb2a2040888c28587bed2b0902d9da90720f9a0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101013
System Description: NixOS 24.11 (Vicuna)