Subject: Re: bug#71924: 31.0.50; elpa.gnu.org has misleading link to bbdb source code

From: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2025 14:18:39 -0500

On Sun, Mar 09 2025, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Note that the development could still very well happen over at the
> `nongnu.git` repository instead of `elpa.git`.  The main issue is the
> *content* of the branch on which development takes place.  Currently the
> content over at `nongnu.git` is not appropriate for GNU ELPA, which is
> why you have to first "massage" it and then push it to `elpa.git`.
> But if you changed that content to match what GNU ELPA needs, then GNU
> ELPA could automatically track the code over at `nongnu.git` and you
> could keep doing the development over there.

Sounds good to me!

> The main difference between the two scenarios is one of administrative
> hurdles (e.g. you can easily add/remove commit rights to contributors
> over at the `nongnu.git` whereas only Emacs maintainers can do that on
> `elpa.git`).

This has rarely happened.  But it is obviously no disadvantage.

Also, this will certainly imply if anyone finds BBDB on savannah in
whatever way cannot be fooled by an outdated repository.

> In any case, let me know if there's something I can do to help,

Thanks, I may come back to this.  I am not an expert with git.  But I
assume it will be possible to rearrange things on savannah such that
the history of files that are kept is preserved.

Roland