Subject: Re: bug#71924: 31.0.50; elpa.gnu.org has misleading link to bbdb source code

From: Roland Winkler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 18:49:42 -0500

On Sat, Mar 08 2025, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Roland, what do you think?

Stefan, I think you have given a fair account from what I can tell.
When BBDB became available via GNU Elpa, part of the reason to keep BBDB
also at savannah was that back then this simplified packaging BBDB for
debian (and maybe also other distros).  But the BBDB maintainer for
debian has confirmed to me that for debian this is no issue anymore.
Debian can package BBDB either way.  And yes, it will certainly simplify
development and maintenance of BBDB if there is only one "official
source" for it (at GNU Elpa).  So I have asked on the BBDB mailing list
whether there are still any reasons to also have the BBDB repository at
NonGNU Savannah or whether this repository can be put to rest.  I do not
expect to receive serious objections, but you never know.  I'll wait
some time so that others can respond.

(I assume nothing at Savannah needs to be deleted for this.  The git
repository documents the history of BBDB since the early days of BBDB.
But one can put a note that development of BBDB now only happens at GNU
Elpa.)