Subject: Re: bug#71909: 30.0.60;

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2024 20:58:00 +0300

> Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2024 19:16:03 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> From: Cecilio Pardo <[email-masked]>
> 
> I had planned to try to use UnRTF for this.
> 
> https://www.gnu.org/software/unrtf/
> 
> It's a GNU package, and despite being old and (I think) unmaintained, it 
> is used by many wrappers for different languages, so it probably works 
> well, though I haven't tested it myself yet.
> 
> Has it been already tried for emacs?

I don't think so.

> If not, which approach (tree-sitter, unrtf) would be more promising?

It depends on which one covers the RTF spec better, I think.  All the
rest being equal, I think tree-sitter is more promising, because it
will definitely be faster.  OTOH, an Emacs-specific downside of using
tree-sitter is that we don't have any experience using TS
structure-related information (sectioning, tables, numbered lists,
etc.) in Emacs, we only use TS for faces and indentation.  UnRTF
converts to HTML, and we already know how to use this stuff when
expressed in HTML.