Subject: bug#71909: 30.0.60;

From: Cecilio Pardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2024 14:52:57 +0200

On 07/10/2024 13:58, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Isn't CF_BITMAP format indicate the data to which we convert images on
> Windows in the w32-specific portions of image.c?  Or maybe it's a BMP
> data (which we can already display, see w32image.c)?  If so, then
> yanking images into an Emacs buffer could simply use the data instead
> of converting to PNG, then back to bitmap.

But how would lisp programs register for receiving that?
yank-media-handler asks for mime types.

>> I didn't expect the PNG, image/png formats.  I suppose they are the same
>> image as the DIB/BITMAP.
> 
> I'd rather expect them to be in PNG format.

Yes, the same pixels, but in PNG format.

>>> What about other kinds of media, like audio and video data?  Is that
>>> supported, and if so, can we include that in some way?
>>
>> In standard formats there is CF_RIFF and CF_WAVE.  Also programas may
>> insert a file format (as they do with PNGS), but I haven't found any
>> example yet. In any case, we can do the same as with images.
> 
> If CF_WAVE are the same data as in *.wav files, then we should be able
> to invoke play-sound in some way.

But again, lisp programas need to register for a mime type, and then act 
on the data as they require.