Subject: Re: [bug#71897] [PATCH v8 6/8] gnu: Add cpp-ada-url-parser.

From: dan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2024 11:37:24 +0800

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> That's not upstreamable work, so should ideally be marked as 
> such as a
> patch at the top of the patch file (Upstream-status: N/A or 
> similar).
> It's a bit sad that this will need ongoing maintenance (careful 
> rebasing
> when they touch that file).  I'd like to see the problem with 
> CPM
> commented in a bit more details -- wondering if it could be made 
> to work
> without patching it out, e.g. perhaps some CMake variables can 
> be set to
> have CPM work offline?

In the previous iteration, I disabled ADA_TESTING and ADA_TOOLS so 
that no patches are needed.  However, Liliana suggest that "we 
should enable testing, even if we need to patch the cmake files to 
unvendor inputs".  I think we have to make a decision here: we 
either accept a package with testing disabled, or we need extra 
work to maintain the patch in the future.

I took a brief look at CPM, and it seems possible to fetch 
dependencies from local directories, but I assume even we go this 
way we still need to patch their CMakeLists.txt files.

What do you think?

-- 
dan