Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] gnu: telegram-desktop: Update to 5.2.1.

From: dan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 18:35:21 +0800

Sharlatan Hellseher <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Telegram is segfaulting on:
>
> --8<---------------cut 
> here---------------start------------->8---
> guix describe
> Generation 43   Sep 13 2024 21:14:29    (current)
>   guix 0e0d9bc
>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>     branch: master
>     commit: 0e0d9bc91f20ac6dda439ab09330f0163eb9bf42
> --8<---------------cut 
> here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> --8<---------------cut 
> here---------------start------------->8---
> Telegram-WARNING **: 10:55:34.082: Application has been built 
> with
> foreign rlottie, animated emojis won't be colored to the 
> selected pack.
>
> Segmentation fault
> --8<---------------cut 
> here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Is anything left to be updated on this patch series?

I've rebased this patch series to master, updated it to latest 
(5.5.5)
and build it.  When trying to run telegram-desktop, it also 
crashed with
SIGSEGV.  Using gdb, I obtained the stack trace:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
#0  0x00007ffff7fdb65d in _dl_update_slotinfo () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#1  0x00007ffff7fdb73c in update_get_addr () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#2  0x00007ffff7fde298 in __tls_get_addr () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#3  0x00007ffff162092b in free () from 
 /gnu/store/j1dpz07vh9wagksidqjqbckh7ihn6hl6-jemalloc-5.3.0/lib/libjemalloc.so.2
#4  0x00007ffff7fdb677 in _dl_update_slotinfo () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#5  0x00007ffff7fdb73c in update_get_addr () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#6  0x00007ffff7fde298 in __tls_get_addr () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#7  0x00007ffff162092b in free () from 
 /gnu/store/j1dpz07vh9wagksidqjqbckh7ihn6hl6-jemalloc-5.3.0/lib/libjemalloc.so.2
#8  0x00007ffff7fdb677 in _dl_update_slotinfo () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#9  0x00007ffff7fdb73c in update_get_addr () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#10 0x00007ffff7fde298 in __tls_get_addr () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#11 0x00007ffff162092b in free () from 
 /gnu/store/j1dpz07vh9wagksidqjqbckh7ihn6hl6-jemalloc-5.3.0/lib/libjemalloc.so.2
#12 0x00007ffff7fdb677 in _dl_update_slotinfo () from 
 /gnu/store/zvlp3n8iwa1svxmwv4q22pv1pb1c9pjq-glibc-2.39/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I'm not sure what's the real cause of this SIGSEGV, but seems like 
glibc
is calling free from jemalloc, which doesn't seem correct.  To 
test, I
removed jemalloc from inputs and added the disable jemalloc flags. 
This
time telegram-desktop could run without any problem.

I suspect this is related to the glibc, since it's updated 
recently, but
I haven't done any bisect test, since building telegram-desktop is
really time-consuming.

Would like to know if it's appropriate for me to disable jemalloc 
for
telegram-desktop.

-- 
dan