Subject: bug#72913: closed (Re: bug#72913: Guile 3.0.10 fails to build for powerpc-darwin (3.0.9 built earlier))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2024 21:11:05 +0000

Your bug report

#71891: Compiler error building 3.0.10 on 32-bit platforms

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71891: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71891
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72913: Guile 3.0.10 fails to build for powerpc-darwin (3.0.9 built earlier)
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2024 22:40:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Rob Browning <[email-masked]> skribis:

>   In language/cps/switch.scm:
>       99:36  6 (fold-branch-chains #<intmap 0-8003> _ _ #<procedure optimize-branch-chain (var exit tests cps)> _)
>       343:8  5 (optimize-branch-chain 3346 7427 (6771 6772 6773 6901 7029 7157 7285) _)
>   In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>      260:13  4 (for-each #<procedure 429618 at language/cps/switch.scm:343:18 (expr)> _)
>   In language/cps/switch.scm:
>      340:32  3 (_ (u64-imm-< . 7428))
>   In language/cps/guile-vm.scm:
>       89:31  2 (target-symbol-hash _)
>       41:18  1 (jenkins-lookup3-hashword2 "u64-imm-<")
>   In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>     1676:22  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
>
>   ice-9/boot-9.scm:1676:22: In procedure raise-exception:
>   Value out of range 0 to< 18446744073709551615: -505802029
>   make[4]: *** [Makefile:2515: language/cps/guile-vm/reify-primitives.go] Error 1
>
> Investigation on an i386 host, and then a git bisect suggested that this
> might be relevant (i.e. the "bad" commit bisect landed on):
>
>   commit d579848cb5d65440af5afd9c8968628665554c22
>
>     Fix bug lowering logand/immediate to ulogand/immediate
>     
>     * module/language/cps/specialize-numbers.scm (logand/immediate): Define
>     a sigbits handler.
>     (specialize-operations): Require logand/immediate operand to be u64 to
>     lower to ulogand/immediate.  Shouldn't be necessary but even if only u64
>     bits are used, negative fixnums will have the sign bit set, which trips
>     up further unboxed uses which error if the operand to `scm->u64` is
>     negative.
>     * module/language/cps/type-fold.scm (rem): Emit logand/immediate.

I believe this was fixed by
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=aff9ac968840e9c86719fb613bd2ed3c39b9905c>
(see the neat explanation at
<https://wingolog.org/archives/2024/09/26/needed-bits-optimizations-in-guile>).

Confirmed by CI: <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/1667191>.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Subject: Guile 3.0.10 fails to build for powerpc-darwin (3.0.9 built earlier)
From: Sergey Fedorov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2024 05:20:33 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Greetings,
Could someone take a look, please?

I am not familiar with Guile internals, so need some help with fixing this.
Guile 3.0.9 was building with minimal fixes for Darwin ppc, however I am
unable to get 3.0.10 build.
I have tried to change some configure settings, but the failure is not
sensitive to any, it seems.

The error looks like this:

:info:build   BOOTSTRAP(stage1) GUILEC ice-9/control.go
:info:build Backtrace:
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build   1755:12 19 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _
#:unwind-for-type _)
:info:build In system/base/compile.scm:
:info:build     69:11 18 (_)
:info:build    190:11 17 (_ #<closed: file 2841ea8>)
:info:build     309:6 16 (read-and-compile _ #:from _ #:to _ #:env _
#:optimization-level _ #:warning-level _ #:opts _)
:info:build    352:28 15 (compile _ #:from _ #:to _ #:env _
#:optimization-level _ #:warning-level _ #:opts _)
:info:build    265:44 14 (_ _ _)
:info:build    261:33 13 (_ _ #<directory (ice-9 common-list) 28a8320>)
:info:build In language/cps/optimize.scm:
:info:build     136:2 12 (_ _ #<directory (ice-9 common-list) 28a8320>)
:info:build     111:3 11 (optimize-first-order-cps _ _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build     414:6 10 (optimize-branch-chains _)
:info:build In language/cps/intmap.scm:
:info:build     519:6  9 (visit-branch #(#(#(#<intset 0-155> (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #((absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) # ?) ?) ?) ?)
:info:build     519:6  8 (visit-branch #(#(#<intset 0-155> (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #((absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (#) # ?) ?)
?)
:info:build     519:6  7 (visit-branch #((absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #<intset 156-199> (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) _ 128 _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build     99:36  6 (fold-branch-chains #<intmap 0-1831> _ _
#<procedure optimize-branch-chain (var exit tests cps)> _)
:info:build     343:8  5 (optimize-branch-chain 122 181 (158 159 160 161
162 163 164 165 167 169 171 173 175 177 179) _)
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build    260:13  4 (for-each #<procedure 412a570 at
language/cps/switch.scm:343:18 (expr)> _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build    340:32  3 (_ (count-if . 170))
:info:build In language/cps/guile-vm.scm:
:info:build     89:31  2 (target-symbol-hash _)
:info:build     41:18  1 (jenkins-lookup3-hashword2 "count-if")
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build   1676:22  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
:info:build ice-9/boot-9.scm:1676:22: In procedure raise-exception:
:info:build Value out of range 0 to< 18446744073709551615: -432225964
:info:build gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:2516: ice-9/common-list.go] Error 1
:info:build gmake[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
:info:build Backtrace:
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build   1755:12 19 (with-exception-handler _ _ #:unwind? _
#:unwind-for-type _)
:info:build In system/base/compile.scm:
:info:build     69:11 18 (_)
:info:build    190:11 17 (_ #<closed: file 2841ea8>)
:info:build     309:6 16 (read-and-compile _ #:from _ #:to _ #:env _
#:optimization-level _ #:warning-level _ #:opts _)
:info:build    352:28 15 (compile _ #:from _ #:to _ #:env _
#:optimization-level _ #:warning-level _ #:opts _)
:info:build    265:44 14 (_ _ _)
:info:build    261:33 13 (_ _ #<directory (ice-9 control) 288cf00>)
:info:build In language/cps/optimize.scm:
:info:build     136:2 12 (_ _ #<directory (ice-9 control) 288cf00>)
:info:build     111:3 11 (optimize-first-order-cps _ _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build     414:6 10 (optimize-branch-chains _)
:info:build In language/cps/intmap.scm:
:info:build     519:6  9 (visit-branch #(#(#(#<intset 0-129> (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #((absent) (absent) #<intset 130-153> (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) # ?) ?) ?) ?)
:info:build     519:6  8 (visit-branch #(#(#<intset 0-129> (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) #f) (absent) (absent)
(absent) #((absent) (absent) #<intset 130-153> (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (#) # ?) ?)
?)
:info:build     519:6  7 (visit-branch #((absent) (absent) #<intset
130-153> (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
(absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
#<intset 154-734,1124-1129> (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent) (absent)
#f) _ 128 _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build     99:36  6 (fold-branch-chains #<intmap 0-1129> _ _
#<procedure optimize-branch-chain (var exit tests cps)> _)
:info:build     343:8  5 (optimize-branch-chain 100 151 (132 134 136 138
140) _)
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build    260:13  4 (for-each #<procedure 39d7ea0 at
language/cps/switch.scm:343:18 (expr)> _)
:info:build In language/cps/switch.scm:
:info:build    340:32  3 (_ (call-with-escape-continuation . 135))
:info:build In language/cps/guile-vm.scm:
:info:build     89:31  2 (target-symbol-hash _)
:info:build     41:18  1 (jenkins-lookup3-hashword2
"call-with-escape-continuation")
:info:build In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
:info:build   1676:22  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
:info:build ice-9/boot-9.scm:1676:22: In procedure raise-exception:
:info:build Value out of range 0 to< 18446744073709551615: -512332661
:info:build gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:2516: ice-9/control.go] Error 1
:info:build wrote `language/cps/guile-vm/lower-primcalls.go'
:info:build wrote `language/cps/guile-vm/reify-primitives.go'
:info:build wrote `language/cps/compile-bytecode.go'
:info:build wrote `language/cps/types.go'
:info:build gmake[2]: Leaving directory
'/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_PPCSnowLeopardPorts_lang_guile-3.0/guile-3.0/work/guile-3.0.10/stage1'
:info:build gmake[1]: *** [Makefile:2180: all-recursive] Error 1
:info:build gmake[1]: Leaving directory
'/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_PPCSnowLeopardPorts_lang_guile-3.0/guile-3.0/work/guile-3.0.10'
:info:build gmake: *** [Makefile:2065: all] Error 2

P. S. Given that it takes about 11 hrs to reach to this point (because
pre-built binaries for ppc32 are broken since guile2, and a full bootstrap
is needed), it is somewhat problematic to debug this blindly without an
idea what could cause this failure.