Subject: bug#71865: [PATCH] New user option `fill-sentence-end-double-space`

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2024 16:02:28 -0700

Jeremy Bryant <[email-masked]> writes:

> I tried this example but would be interested in a clearer statement of
> the problem.  Does M-a, M-e not work as intended?

Thanks, and yes indeed, the `M-a' and `M-e' doesn't work as I'd hope if
you evaluate this in emacs -Q:

    (progn (insert "Foo. Bar. Baz.")
           (goto-char (pos-bol))
           (forward-sentence))

Point is now at the third period, after "Baz".

I think that there are some users [this one included] that will want to
set

    (setq sentence-end-double-space nil)

to make point end up at the second period instead, after "Bar", yet they
do _not_ want this paragraph to be refilled to use only one space
between sentences:

    Foo.  Bar.  Baz.

In other words, the problem is that `sentence-end-double-space' controls
both filling and sentence commands.  This rectifies that by introducing
a new variable that allows controlling the filling commands separately.

Does that make the problem more clear?