Subject: bug#71853: closed (Re: bug#71853: 29.4; `kill-compilation` does not kill compilation process on Windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2024 09:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71853: 29.4; `kill-compilation` does not kill compilation process on Windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71853: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71853
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71853: 29.4; `kill-compilation` does not kill compilation process on Windows
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2024 12:50:26 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2024 09:18:26 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > From: Tze Chian Kam <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2024 14:30:15 +1000
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > 
> > > From: Eli Zaretskii
> > > Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2024 14:17:06 +0300
> > >
> > > I guess our detection of MSYS applications needs some update?  Can you
> > > show the list of DLLs that your MSYS2 python.exe depends on?  If you
> > > have GNU Binutils installed, the following command should show that:
> > >
> > >   objdump -x /path/to/python.exe | fgrep "DLL Name"
> > 
> > libpython3.11.dll
> > KERNEL32.dll
> > msvcrt.dll
> 
> If this is the MSYS2 Python, the one you cannot interrupt, I guess
> some recent change in Python for Windows causes this problem.  Because
> my Python is older and I don't have this problem.

No further comments in two weeks, so I'm now closing this bug.

Subject: 29.4; `kill-compilation` does not kill compilation process on Windows
From: Tze Chian Kam <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 12:57:11 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Steps to reproduce:
1) Open Emacs with `-q`.
2) Run a trivial file with an infinite loop with `M-x compile`

Expected outcome:
Should be able to kill the process with `M-x kill-compilation` or
`C-c C-k`.

Actual outcome:
`C-c C-k` is ignored and `M-x kill-compilation` is ran but does not
stop the process.

For now, I have a workaround to advice `compile` to interactive mode
(comint) and killing the process with `C-c C-\`. Is this a Windows
problem or my setup?

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-06-24 built on
 fv-az1388-367
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.4529)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/mingw64 --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-modules --without-dbus
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter
 --with-native-compilation=aot 'CFLAGS=-march=nocona -msahf
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wno-error=implicit-function-declaration'
 CPPFLAGS=-D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1 'LDFLAGS= -lpthread''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date files-x shell pcomplete compile
text-property-search python project byte-opt pcase treesit comint
ansi-osc ring cl-loaddefs comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq
cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib ansi-color
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1087889 397416)
 (symbols 48 8942 4)
 (strings 32 27579 6087)
 (string-bytes 1 2338937)
 (vectors 16 20075)
 (vector-slots 8 394227 86836)
 (floats 8 42 93)
 (intervals 56 490863 319)
 (buffers 984 13))