Subject: bug#71851: 31.0.50; error with (use-package org ...)

From: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 08:39:16 +0200

Steps to reproduce: on the latest master, Emacs -Q, evaluating

(use-package org
  :custom
  (org-babel-load-languages '((latex . t) (emacs-lisp . t) (python . t))))

in *scratch* via C-x C-e yields the error

Error (use-package): org/:catch: Symbol’s value as variable is void:
org-preview-latex-process-alist

If I first (require 'org), then it works fine.

I suspected some version issue, but deleted all eln-cache stuff, and
tried rebuilding in a fresh directory and emptying my .emacs.d.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin23.5.0, NS
 appkit-2487.60 Version 14.5 (Build 23F79)) of 2024-06-30 built on
 d51735
Repository revision: c8473ee8c1914d15fb19207215f0a06c84d0915c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2487
System Description:  macOS 14.5

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter
 --with-gif --with-png --with-jpeg --with-rsvg --with-tiff
 --with-imagemagick --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GLIB GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils compile text-property-search
comint subr-x ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run comp-common warnings
icons thingatpt find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version
org-compat org-macs format-spec cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode cl-seq
use-package-core cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 120273 12323) (symbols 48 12306 0) (strings 32 33300 3032)
 (string-bytes 1 1117542) (vectors 16 18104)
 (vector-slots 8 236238 8900) (floats 8 53 68) (intervals 56 264 0)
 (buffers 992 13))