Subject: [bug#71832] [PATCH v6 2/3] gnu: Add nss-rapid.

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 20:38:09 -0700

On 2024-08-17, Ian Eure wrote:
> diff --git a/gnu/packages/nss.scm b/gnu/packages/nss.scm
> index 9224a8ed5a..1a684e6146 100644
> --- a/gnu/packages/nss.scm
> +++ b/gnu/packages/nss.scm
...
> +;; nss should track ESRs, but currently doesn't.  3.102.1 is the current ESR.
> +
>  (define-public nss
>    (package
>      (name "nss")

Though I largely agree with the logic (e.g. nss *should* probably be
packaging ESR versions in general)... it seems a little weird to include
a comment about what the packaging for nss *should* do, even though it
is not (yet) doing it... similar with embedding a specific "current"
version, which will obviously become inaccurate before too long...

Alternately, maybe moving the comment to where the nss version is
actually defined; to give someone pause when considering updating the
version?

Or maybe this belongs in a separate discussion on guix-devel and/or bug?

> +;; nss-rapid tracks the rapid release channel.  Unless your package requires a
> +;; newer version, you should prefer the `nss' package, which tracks the ESR
> +;; channel.
> +;;
> +;; See https://wiki.mozilla.org/NSS:Release_Versions
> +;; and https://wiki.mozilla.org/Rapid_Release_Model
> +
> +(define-public nss-rapid

Mixed feelings on rapid vs. latest ... latest is a bit more consistent
with other guix packages, though "rapid" is the terminology that
upstream uses here.

Both those points are, in my opinion, quite minor; I would not want to
block on those points alone!

live well,
  vagrant