Subject: Re: bug#71823: 31.0.50; project-mode-line and eglot duplicate project-name in mode-line

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 09:30:21 -0400

João Távora <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> To be clear, I want a configuration which will have project-name from
>> project-mode-line and no project-name in the eglot mode-line entry.
>
> I understand.
>
>> So that functionality will need to be moved anyway, no matter how we
>> solve this problem.
>
> As I see it (now, not 2 weeks ago) only if the user wants the same as
> you. The reason I changed my mind is that I hadn't realized that section
> was being used for the server-specific menu.
>
>> Are you fine with including the server menu in the main menu?  This is
>> something we'd want in both the "make it work by default" or "make it
>> customizable" solutions.
>
> No, I'm not sure of that.  One of the reasons is that Eglot currently
> supports only one server, but there are many requests for it to support
> more than one in the future.  So I'm not sure that's such a good move,
> whereas if the user decides they don't need the server menu, that's a
> different story.

I see.  What about putting an abbreviated server name in the eglot
modeline, replacing the current project-name?  That would fit better
with supporting multiple servers anyway: there would be multiple entries
for multiple servers.

I'm not sure what a good source for an abbreviated server name would
be... perhaps we could query something from the LSP server, or put it in
eglot-server-programs?