Subject: bug#71823: 31.0.50; project-mode-line and eglot duplicate project-name in mode-line

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2024 15:57:43 +0100

On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 3:47 PM Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Do any of these seem acceptable?

No, sorry.

>
> > I also don't understand the other changes (i.e. to the menu) but
> > that's OK.
>
> The project-name in the eglot mode line entry had the server menu
> attached to it.  Since the project-name is no longer present, the server
> menu isn't accessible.  To make the server menu accessible again, it's
> added to the main eglot menu.

Ah right.  Well that unexpected side effect alone makes this
approach unacceptable.  It seemed like a quick out, but it really
isn't.  We have to go to the other approach

> But I don't want to delegate the responsibility of solving this problem
> to the user, I want the problem to just be gone: the entries should just
> not duplicate project-name.

This problem wasn't introduced by Eglot.  In fact I don't know if this
is even a problem.  Users must know if they want to keep the Eglot mode
line info working like it always did or if they want to tweak it to save
space because of a new mode-line tenant that has since appeared in the
very latest Emacs (a tenant which isn't even on by default).

The problem in Eglot to me is that there isn't the possibility to
do the latter thing, and _that's_ what I think should be addressed.

João