Subject: bug#71823: 31.0.50; project-mode-line and eglot duplicate project-name in mode-line

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 18:08:41 -0400

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 1:49 PM João Távora <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 3:41 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > João, any comments?
>
> Tiny switches for these customizations is not a good idea.  It's complex,
> hard to find, and doesn't scale well
>
> For this and other use cases we need something more robust like
> in many packages, a user-customizable eglot-mode-line-format. You
> can e.g.  use flymake-mode-like-format as an idea.  Of course,
> the default value of eglot-mode-line-format would keep the
> Eglot mode-line exactly as it is.
>

Yes, I agree.

But my goal here isn't to make eglot-mode-line customizable, it's to add
code to make the eglot mode line automatically avoid
duplicating project-name.

I figured some people might want to disable this code, so I made it
customizable, but that customization is not essential.  I'm happy to remove
the customization, and just have the eglot modeline automatically remove
the project-name when project-mode-line is set.  That removes the need for
any new customization variables, while still fixing the issue of
duplication.

Support for actual customization of the eglot mode line can be added later
with an eglot-mode-line-format, as you suggest.