Subject: bug#71822: Feature request: fullwidth to halfwidth

From: Kazuhiro Ito <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2025 18:53:09 +0900

> I eventually decided to write new commands, because the above
> japanese-* commands are too specific to the Japanese users: for
> example, they convert kana characters as well.
> 
> So there are now new commands fullwidth-region, fullwidth-word,
> halfwidth-region, and halfwidth-word, which will be in Emacs 31 when
> it is released.

New functions don't seem to handle SPACE (U+0020, ' ') and IDEOGRAPHIC
SPACE (U+3000, '　').  U+3000 is used as fullwidth space in CJK
languages.

(with-temp-buffer
  (insert "Ｈｅｌｌｏ，　Ｗｏｒｌｄ！")
  (halfwidth-region (point-min) (point-max))
  (buffer-string))

-> "Hello,　World!"

-- 
Kazuhiro Ito