Subject: bug#71815: closed (Re: bug#71815: 31.0.50; Links to minor mode variables bring to minor mode (the function))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 10:21:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71815: 31.0.50; Links to minor mode variables bring to minor mode (the function)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71815: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71815
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71815: 31.0.50; Links to minor mode variables bring to minor mode (the function)
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 10:19:02 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> When a minor-mode docstring doesn't specify what ARG does, a generic
> mode is added to this docstring, this additional docstring is specified
> in `easy-mmode--arg-docstring` and contains this sentence:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> To check whether the minor mode is enabled in the current buffer,
> evaluate `%s'.
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> When hitting RET on this link to the mode variable from the docstring,
> the link brings back to this same docstring i.e. the function.
>
> For example try C-h f bug-reference-mode and hit RET on the link to
> `bug-reference-mode', it bring back to this same docstring.
>
> A possible fix is specifying the word "variable" before the link in
> `easy-mmode--arg-docstring`:
>
> @@ -94 +94 @@
> -evaluate `%s'.
> +evaluate the variable `%s'.

Thanks, fixed on emacs-30.

Subject: 31.0.50; Links to minor mode variables bring to minor mode (the function)
From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 06:17:32 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When a minor-mode docstring doesn't specify what ARG does, a generic
mode is added to this docstring, this additional docstring is specified
in `easy-mmode--arg-docstring` and contains this sentence:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
To check whether the minor mode is enabled in the current buffer,
evaluate `%s'.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

When hitting RET on this link to the mode variable from the docstring,
the link brings back to this same docstring i.e. the function.

For example try C-h f bug-reference-mode and hit RET on the link to
`bug-reference-mode', it bring back to this same docstring.

A possible fix is specifying the word "variable" before the link in
`easy-mmode--arg-docstring`:

@@ -94 +94 @@
-evaluate `%s'.
+evaluate the variable `%s'.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-06-23 built on IPad-S340
Repository revision: 93088fc13c47fbab875f9ee173c0a66d623d91c6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Linux Mint 21.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --bindir=/usr/local/sbin/emacs-30.0.50
 --with-cairo --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules
 --without-tree-sitter --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tv-save-place-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/elpa/all-the-icons-20240623.1800/all-the-icons hides ~/elisp/all-the-icons

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap emacsbug whitespace view etags fileloop xref
add-log which-func helm-imenu cl-print shortdoc helm-command isl
tramp-sh image-file image-converter helm-emms cl-indent helm-ring
helm-dabbrev helm-elisp helm-eval edebug debug backtrace smerge-mode
diff helm-x-files helm-for-files helm-bookmark helm-info helm-firefox
gnus-bcklg gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder epa-file
network-stream nsm gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
nntp gnus-cache char-fold emms-config emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi
emms-idapi-musicbrainz emms-mpris emms-librefm-stream
emms-librefm-scrobbler emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history
emms-score emms-stream-info emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams emms-show-all
emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache
emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat emms-auto helm-external helm-net ffap sort
gnus-cite smiley w3m-form w3m-symbol qp config-w3m w3m timezone w3m-hist
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-fb tab-line w3m-proc
w3m-util mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check addressbook-bookmark
tv-mu4e-config gnus-and-mu4e mu4e-patch mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-module-loaddefs
esh-util mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main
smtpmail mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-actions
mu4e-compose mu4e-draft gnus-msg mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks
mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark ido
mu4e-obsolete tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf
helm-packages finder finder-inf lisp-mnt helm-ls-git vc-git diff-mode
track-changes vc vc-dispatcher emacs-news-mode yaml-mode make-mode
flymake-shellcheck cus-start flymake project oc-basic ol-eww eww
url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org-config ob-gnuplot ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element
org-persist org-id org-refile org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator
org-crypt org-protocol org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-src sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities noutline
outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat
org-macs bug-reference thingatpt naquadah-theme solar cal-dst holidays
holiday-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs server imenu psession frameset w3m-load pcase git-gutter
mule-util dired-extension time winner describe-variable help-fns
radix-tree tv-utils tv-save-place.el advice init-helm epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config helm-epa helm-descbinds cus-edit pp wid-edit helm-sys
helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files image-dired
image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util image-mode exif
filenotify tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message
tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date
tramp-loaddefs helm-buffers all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
wgrep-helm wgrep grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ring
helm-regexp format-spec ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib dired-async async dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs mb-depth comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode warnings
comp-run comp-common rx avoid cus-load gcmh easy-mmode
all-the-icons-autoloads info ledger-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2602107 5622919) (symbols 48 65656 240)
 (strings 32 490024 674181) (string-bytes 1 19815818)
 (vectors 16 134599) (vector-slots 8 2597984 1934944)
 (floats 8 4757 99540) (intervals 56 366321 504839) (buffers 984 169))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

-- 
Thierry