Subject: bug#71812: closed (Re: bug#71812: [PATCH] Flag checkdoc-package-keywords-flag as a :safe variable)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 03:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71812: [PATCH] Flag checkdoc-package-keywords-flag as a :safe variable

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71812: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71812
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71812: [PATCH] Flag checkdoc-package-keywords-flag as a :safe variable
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Jules Tamagnan <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 20:37:41 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 31.1

Jules Tamagnan <[email-masked]> writes:

> From 96c335bb5ab68b7fcf2d3079df15045ad79d19d3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Jules Tamagnan <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 22:04:58 -0700
> Subject: [PATCH] Flag checkdoc-package-keywords-flag as a :safe variable
>
> * lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el: Mark 'checkdoc-package-keywords-flag'
>   as a safe local variable.
> ---
>  lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el | 1 +
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
>
> diff --git a/lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el b/lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el
> index c22dfb2eb26..bda5150cf07 100644
> --- a/lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el
> +++ b/lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el
> @@ -289,6 +289,7 @@ checkdoc-package-keywords-flag
>  Currently, all recognized keywords must be on `finder-known-keywords'."
>    :version "25.1"
>    :type 'boolean)
> +;;;###autoload(put 'checkdoc-package-keywords-flag 'safe-local-variable #'booleanp)
>
>  (defvar checkdoc-style-functions nil
>    "Hook run after the standard style check is completed.
> --
> 2.45.1

Thanks, installed on master as commit d3b100d4192.

Subject: [PATCH] Flag checkdoc-package-keywords-flag as a :safe variable
From: Jules Tamagnan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 22:23:59 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

* Problem

Recently I was collaborating on a package that provided a .dir-locals.el
file where this `checkdoc-package-keywords-flag' was being set. I then
had to figure out what variable was considered unsafe and decide whether
it was unsafe or not. This caused some extra mental overhead and
development friction.

* Solution

It would be great if this variable were already considered safe to
reduce overhead on developers.

* Implementation

After looking at how this variable was used I noticed that it was only
consumed in `checkdoc-current-buffer' and that it seemed safe to mark as
safe. I added a single autoload line as is done throughout the rest of
the file for similar variables

---

Best,
Jules

---

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.42, cairo version 1.18.0)
Repository revision: 9cb2a2040888c28587bed2b0902d9da90720f9a0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101013
System Description: NixOS 24.11 (Vicuna)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/93m6yix8f6pcg75418xjx7k81lrj5a6s-emacs-git-20240626.0
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-cairo --with-xft --with-compress-install
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-native-compilation
 --without-imagemagick --with-mailutils --without-small-ja-dic
 --with-tree-sitter --with-xinput2 --with-xwidgets --with-dbus
 --with-selinux'

>From 96c335bb5ab68b7fcf2d3079df15045ad79d19d3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Jules Tamagnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 22:04:58 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] Flag checkdoc-package-keywords-flag as a :safe variable

* lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el: Mark 'checkdoc-package-keywords-flag'
  as a safe local variable.
---
 lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el b/lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el
index c22dfb2eb26..bda5150cf07 100644
--- a/lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el
+++ b/lisp/emacs-lisp/checkdoc.el
@@ -289,6 +289,7 @@ checkdoc-package-keywords-flag
 Currently, all recognized keywords must be on `finder-known-keywords'."
   :version "25.1"
   :type 'boolean)
+;;;###autoload(put 'checkdoc-package-keywords-flag 'safe-local-variable #'booleanp)

 (defvar checkdoc-style-functions nil
   "Hook run after the standard style check is completed.
--
2.45.1