Subject: Re: [bug#71802] [PATCH 0/1] Avoid guix home reconfiguration when nothing is to be done.

From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 21:08:20 -0400

Hi Nicolas,

> While experimenting with profile reconfigurations almost a year ago, a
> thing that happened a lot was that I reconfigured a lot while often I
> didn't need to. In the event a guix system / guix home wrapper comes
> to life (I've experimented for that in RDE), such a reflex to avoid
> switching to new profiles that already are existing profiles is
> welcome IMO.
>
> This is not a definitive proposal but rather an illustration of an
> approach which could be implemented at other places too to avoid some
> unecessary calculations / reconfigurations.

I can't figure out exactly how this patch could apply, but I can see it
or something similar being useful when using guix-home-service. If we
can make oneshot service attempt to register a new generation on every
invocation /and/ use a patch like to avoid redundant generations, it may
solve many of the issues raised in [1].

[1]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/69781#5

-- 
Take it easy,
Richard Sent
Making my computer weirder one commit at a time.