Subject: Re: bug#71801: emacs 29.4 windows binaries

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2024 16:52:29 -0500

On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 2:33 PM Drew Adams via Bug reports for GNU
Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors <[email-masked]>
wrote:
>
> > (If GCC that emits the above error message is
> > part of the Emacs installation, then Corwin should make sure Binutils
> > are part of the installation as well.)
>
> Corwin: Please do whatever is appropriate/needed.
> Thank you.
>

I can see that I did include DLLs for GCC/GCCJIT with Emacs binaries
for Windows.   I will rebuild and republish ensuring those are
omitted.  I think that we do not want to distribute all of GCC with
the Emacs binaries (nor do we want to distribute the corresponding
source archives for MSYS' GCC, which may be more to the point).   That
said, I would be open to including GCC/GCCJIT (and thus binutils); I
think that is little enough extra work for me but is simply more to
store on the various GNU/FSF infrastructure backing FTP (and for all
of the mirrors, of course).  In any event, I'll republish.  If we want
to make adjustments to what ships with Emacs binaries for Windows we
can take that on for Emacs 30.

Much appreciate your looking into this so quickly (to say nothing of
actually spotting problems, yey).