Subject: bug#71778: closed (Re: bug#71778: 30.0.60; Eshell hangs when switching buffers during output redirection)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 04:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71778: 30.0.60; Eshell hangs when switching buffers during output redirection

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71778: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71778
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71778: 30.0.60; Eshell hangs when switching buffers during output redirection
From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
To: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 21:45:56 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

On 6/25/2024 1:50 PM, Sean Devlin wrote:
> I've found it is possible to Eshell in the middle of a command. Here's a
> recipe:
[snip]
> $ for x in 1 2 3 4 5 { echo hello ; sleep 2 } > #<buffer test>
> 
> 4. While the above command is running, C-x b test
> 5. C-x b *eshell*

Tricky! But thankfully it was an easy fix. We just needed to make sure 
that when cleaning up in a timer after 'eshell-sentinel', we always do 
it from the Eshell buffer.

Fixed on both the master branch and the release branch, with a 
regression test.

Subject: 30.0.60; Eshell hangs when switching buffers during output redirection
From: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 16:50:13 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi folks,

I've found it is possible to Eshell in the middle of a command. Here's a
recipe:

1. Emacs -Q
2. M-x eshell
3. In Eshell:

$ for x in 1 2 3 4 5 { echo hello ; sleep 2 } > #<buffer test>

4. While the above command is running, C-x b test
5. C-x b *eshell*

Observe that the loop will never finish and the Eshell buffer becomes
unresponsive. For example, pressing RET does nothing. Pressing C-c C-c
will terminate the command, but Eshell no longer accepts new commands.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information.

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 30.0.60
Repository revision: fb11294d4156a4be45080ff286a8ee0d5a3ede9b
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple'
System Description:  macOS

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GLIB GNUTLS LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 38769 9073) (symbols 48 5298 0) (strings 32 12476 2590)
(string-bytes 1 307951) (vectors 16 9391)
(vector-slots 8 114340 8902) (floats 8 21 3) (intervals 56 224 6)
(buffers 992 10))