Subject: bug#71777: 29.4; sexp-at-point in latex-mode when sexp contains ";"

From: Gabriele Nicolardi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 19:53:59 +0200

Hi,

I have this string expression in latex-mode:

$K(U_1, V_1, x_1; t_2, x_2)$

If the pointer is located on the opened "(" and I run "forward-sexp" it 
works and the
pointer goes after the closed ")".

But if, again, the pointer is located on the opened "(" and I evaluate
"(sexp-at-point)" it returns nil.

If I remove the ";" symbol from the expression it works and returns the 
sexp-at-point:

$K(U_1, V_1, x_1 t_2, x_2)$

Is it a bug?

Best regards,

Gabriele

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-06-24 built on lcy02-amd64-050
Repository revision: 176061eb965cf945e7627ce87bb16ec5a03f8a4d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
--without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo
--with-native-compilation=aot --without-pgtk --with-xinput2
--with-tree-sitter --with-json
'CFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
-isystem/build/emacs/stage/usr/include -O2'
'CPPFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
-isystem/build/emacs/stage/usr/include'
'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-L/build/emacs/stage/usr/lib''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: it_IT.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tex-mode compile text-property-search
shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring time-date cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 94745 6994)
(symbols 48 8180 0)
(strings 32 23981 1842)
(string-bytes 1 748444)
(vectors 16 18526)
(vector-slots 8 362068 6080)
(floats 8 40 162)
(intervals 56 343 0)
(buffers 984 12))