Subject: bug#71775: closed (Re: bug#71775: 31.0.50; Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 09:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71775: 31.0.50; Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71775: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71775
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71775: 31.0.50; Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension
From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2024 05:03:12 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 10:12:12 -0400
>>> 
>>> 
>>> After building and installing from master, from an empty build
>>> directory, without the -j to make, I cannot run emacs from the installed
>>> binary.
>>> 
>>>     $ emacs -Q
>>>     Loading loadup.el (source)...
>>>     Dump mode: nil
>>>     Using load-path (/usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/site-lisp
>>> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp
>>> /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp
>>> /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/progmodes
>>> /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/language
>>> /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/international
>>> /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/textmodes
>>> /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/vc)
>>>     Loading emacs-lisp/debug-early...
>>>     Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension
>>> 
>>> This problem does not happen if I run emacs from its build directory.
>>
>> This seems to indicate that Emacs can't find its pdumper file.  Is it
>> where it's supposed to be?  Are any of the installation directories
>> symlinks, perhaps?
>
> It appears to be in the right location.  For me the file is
> /usr/local/libexec/emacs/31.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/emacs-7613461fe6ed74f6f87f777c9c08b4ef65bda3f590e4a424624ddfd514cb2f81.pdmp,
> which is consistent with prior installations of emacs.  None of the
> directories are symlinks.
>
>> Also, are you sure you cleaned up the source tree before building?
>> Suggest to try "git clean -fdx" or a fresh clone.
>
> It looks like this did the trick.  I am embarrassed that I did not try
> this.  I'm so used to out-of-tree builds not changing (much) in the
> source directory.  Sorry for the report, and you can close this bug.
> (Though it might be worth putting something like this in PROBLEMS.)

No problem, I think PROBLEMS is more for Emacs releases (?) while
building from source on master is known sometime to require a tree
clean-up.

Closing meanwhile.

Thanks

  Andrea

Subject: 31.0.50; Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension
From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 10:12:12 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

After building and installing from master, from an empty build
directory, without the -j to make, I cannot run emacs from the installed
binary.

    $ emacs -Q
    Loading loadup.el (source)...
    Dump mode: nil
    Using load-path (/usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/site-lisp /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/progmodes /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/language /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/international /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/textmodes /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/vc)
    Loading emacs-lisp/debug-early...
    Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension

This problem does not happen if I run emacs from its build directory.
In case it matters:

$ gcc --version
gcc (Debian 13.2.0-25) 13.2.0

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.0) of 2024-06-25 built on miko
Repository revision: b9da5ee06f2e4ae807336dd6a641ae797831d097
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-native-compilation --with-xinput2 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb'
 --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  magit-wip-initial-backup-mode: t
  magit-wip-before-change-mode: t
  magit-wip-after-apply-mode: t
  magit-wip-after-save-mode: t
  magit-wip-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  emacs-gc-stats-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/md5i/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20240127.1753/transient hides /home/md5i/src/emacs/md5i/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud gnus-spec gnus-win emacsbug
flyspell ispell notifications view pacproxy descr-text tramp trampver
tramp-integration tramp-message tramp-compat xdg parse-time iso8601
tramp-loaddefs time sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login
sasl-plain rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util sgml-mode facemenu dom
python project treesit ps-print ps-print-loaddefs lpr picture nm dbus
xml magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
files-x magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu
magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode track-changes easy-mmode
git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor comp comp-cstr warnings comp-run comp-common rx shell
pcomplete server magit-mode transient cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode
magit-git magit-base magit-section format-spec cursor-sensor crm dash
compat nnimap nnmail gnus-int mail-source gnus-range message sendmail
yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader utf7 nnoo gnus nnheader gnus-util
time-date mail-utils range gnus-o365-oauth2 oauth2 url-http url-auth
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw
nsm puny plstore generated generic-x epg rfc6068 epg-config
emacs-gc-stats dired-aux ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util cus-edit pp cus-load
wid-edit dired-x dired dired-loaddefs compile text-property-search
comint ansi-osc ring ansi-color cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs derived
cmake-mode-autoloads debian-el-autoloads docker-autoloads aio-autoloads
emacs-gc-stats-autoloads groovy-mode-autoloads llvm-ts-mode-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads s-autoloads tablist-autoloads
transient-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 573469 25673) (symbols 48 29894 2)
 (strings 32 135258 18161) (string-bytes 1 4363917) (vectors 16 73548)
 (vector-slots 8 742089 36236) (floats 8 956 12) (intervals 56 738 35)
 (buffers 992 15))

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])