Subject: bug#71733: 29.3; tab-bar-tab-group-face-default invokes tab-bar-tab-face-default incorrectly?

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 07:22:37 -0400

`tab-bar-tab-group-face-default' hard codes the invocation to
`tab-bar-tab-face-default' but should it instead invoke
`tab-bar-tab-face-function' to benefit from a custom function?

(defun tab-bar-tab-group-face-default (tab)
  (if (not (or (eq (car tab) 'current-tab)
               (funcall tab-bar-tab-group-function tab)))
      'tab-bar-tab-ungrouped

*    (tab-bar-tab-face-default tab)))*;; should the last line be something
like this?

*    (funcall tab-bar-tab-face-function tab)))*
I checked the latest `tab-bar' source code this morning and this hasn't yet
been addressed, if indeed this is unintended behavior.

See https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/blob/master/lisp/tab-bar.el#L1021

Thank you for all your hard work on the Emacs ecosystem.

-Stephane

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60
 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G9323)) of 2024-03-24 built on
 builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.7.5

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
 -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  rainbow-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  yafolding-mode: t
  textsize-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  breadcrumb-mode: t
  breadcrumb-local-mode: t
  vertico-multiform-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  pyvenv-tracking-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  corfu-echo-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  activities-tabs-mode: t
  activities-mode: t
  recursion-indicator-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  zoom-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  ace-window-display-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  project-tab-groups-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-history-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  undelete-frame-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/proj/shipmints-github/activities.el/activities-tabs hides
/Users/shipmints/.emacs.d/elpa/activities-0.7/activities-tabs
~/proj/shipmints-github/activities.el/activities-list hides
/Users/shipmints/.emacs.d/elpa/activities-0.7/activities-list
~/proj/shipmints-github/activities.el/activities hides
/Users/shipmints/.emacs.d/elpa/activities-0.7/activities
/Users/shipmints/.emacs.d/elpa/jsonrpc-1.0.25/jsonrpc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/jsonrpc
/Users/shipmints/.emacs.d/elpa/modus-themes-20240617.1403/theme-loaddefs
hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/Users/shipmints/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240619.1324/transient hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient
/Users/shipmints/.emacs.d/elpa/eglot-1.17/eglot hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/eglot
/Users/shipmints/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.15.0/eldoc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug executable dabbrev cape-keyword
tempel-collection tempel cape consult-register misearch multi-isearch
emacsql-sqlite-builtin sqlite face-remap git-modes gitignore-mode
gitconfig-mode conf-mode gitattributes-mode forge-repos forge-tablist
forge-topics forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs
gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub url-http url-gw nsm url-auth let-alist gnutls forge-notify
forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic yaml parse-time
iso8601 eieio-custom bug-reference forge-post markdown-mode forge-repo
forge forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql
emacsql-compiler eieio-base magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-blame
magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch
magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes
magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset
magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit
log-edit message sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor shell pcomplete magit-mode
benchmark magit-git magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm noutline
outline vertico-directory vundo elec-pair rainbow-mode time-date
checkdoc lisp-mnt flymake-proc flymake thingatpt flyspell ispell
yafolding textsize repeat autorevert filenotify recentf tree-widget
wid-edit breadcrumb pulse vertico-multiform marginalia vertico
corfu-popupinfo savehist init server which-key python treesit pyvenv
eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util files-x kind-icon svg-lib svg dom xml
corfu-echo corfu-history corfu orderless consult-imenu activities-tabs
activities warnings icons persist consult recursion-indicator vc-git
diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher deft visual-fill-column cap-words superword
subword zoom windmove ace-window avy bookmark pp saveplace desktop
frameset ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tar-mode arc-mode
archive-mode find-recursive so-long hl-line helpful cc-langs cc-vars
cc-defs imenu trace edebug debug backtrace info-look find-func f
help-fns radix-tree elisp-refs s dash project-tab-groups
use-package-diminish project re-builder rx use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode grep compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color transient format-spec
edmacro kmacro delsel time no-littering compat vtable
text-property-search modus-vivendi-tritanopia-theme
modus-operandi-tritanopia-theme modus-vivendi-deuteranopia-theme
modus-operandi-deuteranopia-theme modus-vivendi-tinted-theme
modus-operandi-tinted-theme modus-vivendi-theme modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes color exec-path-from-shell shut-up diminish benchmark-init
advice pixel-scroll cua-base ring cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure
use-package-core ace-window-autoloads activities-autoloads avy-autoloads
beframe-autoloads benchmark-init-autoloads breadcrumb-autoloads
bufler-autoloads burly-autoloads cape-autoloads clipetty-autoloads
consult-eglot-autoloads corfu-candidate-overlay-autoloads
corfu-terminal-autoloads corfu-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
deft-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads diminish-autoloads
dired-collapse-autoloads dired-hacks-utils-autoloads
eglot-tempel-autoloads eglot-autoloads ein-autoloads anaphora-autoloads
eldoc-autoloads eldoc-box-autoloads embark-consult-autoloads
consult-autoloads embark-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads
forge-autoloads closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads gcmh-autoloads
ghub-autoloads git-modes-autoloads helpful-autoloads
elisp-refs-autoloads f-autoloads ibuffer-project-autoloads
js2-mode-autoloads jsonrpc-autoloads jupyter-autoloads
kind-icon-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
modus-themes-autoloads no-littering-autoloads orderless-autoloads
paredit-autoloads persist-autoloads popon-autoloads
pretty-hydra-autoloads hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads
project-tab-groups-autoloads pyvenv-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads
realgud-autoloads realgud-recursive-autoloads
recursion-indicator-autoloads ruff-format-autoloads
reformatter-autoloads shut-up-autoloads simple-httpd-autoloads
sqlite3-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads tempel-collection-autoloads
tempel-autoloads test-simple-autoloads textsize-autoloads
flycheck-autoloads transient-autoloads treepy-autoloads
vertico-autoloads visual-fill-column-autoloads vundo-autoloads
web-mode-autoloads websocket-autoloads which-key-autoloads
winum-autoloads dash-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info
compat-autoloads xclip-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
zmq-autoloads zoom-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 570562 379052)
 (symbols 48 32997 42)
 (strings 32 112274 33085)
 (string-bytes 1 3525127)
 (vectors 16 76579)
 (vector-slots 8 1686830 638730)
 (floats 8 648 1950)
 (intervals 56 7022 3977)
 (buffers 984 21))